Font Size: Increase | Decrease

Can I get vein wave treatment for my bulging vein?

This question was asked in Birmingham, Alabama and has 3 answer(s) as of 12/03/2012.
I have an allergy to nickel and I am wondering if the vein wave procedure uses a needle made from nickel. If so, is there another needle option in the vein wave treatment? I also have a vein wave procedure scheduled to treat a bulging reticular vein under my eye. Are there any risks to my vision? Do I need this vein for circulation to my eye?


Doctors Answers (3)

Yes, you can get vein wave treatment for your bulging veins No, there is no other needle option for the treatment. No, there shouldn't be any risks to your vision. And no, you do not need that vein for circulation to your eye.

I have been performing radiofrequency ablation for small spider veins since VeinWave arrived in North America from the UK in 2010. First, the VeinWave device is indicated for and works only for *small spider* veins, NOT reticular or varicose veins. Second, there are needles that do not contain nickel for appropriate patients. We traded our VeinWave for the newer VeinGogh machine for its better results with larger spider veins.

The VeinGogh device, similar to the VeinWave, generates a tiny, regulated, high frequency current which is delivered to a small vessel via a hair-thin stainless steel needle. This energy selectively heats the vein, coagulating the blood and collapsing the vessel wall, which is quickly absorbed into the body. Without a consultation, it is difficult to determine what is needed. However, generally speaking, the VeinGogh and VeinWave devices are designed to be used on tiny facial veins of .3 mm or less and would not be appropriate for use on a bulging reticular vein around the eye. Sclerotherapy is often used to remove larger reticulated veins on face but only an evaluation by an experienced vein specialist can determine if the vein you describe can be removed safely.

Disclaimer: The information found on this website is intended to be general medical information; it is not a medical diagnosis or medical advice. Specific medical advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your health situation. You should seek consultation with a doctor familiar with your medical condition. Posting a question on this website does not create a doctor-patient relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question.