Font Size: Increase | Decrease

What could be causing dark bluish spots on my legs?

I am a 27 year old married woman. For the last 6 to 7 months, I have been getting some dark bluish purple spots on my thigh and legs. These spots also appear on my hands. Then they seem to disappear for a few days and then reappear in different places on my thigh, legs, and hand with minor pain. What could be causing this? Should I get a diagnostic test from a varicose veins specialist? I cannot think of what else it could be.


Doctors Answers (5)

Without actually seeing you I can not tell you what these "spots" are. However, they do not sound typical of varicose veins to me. I would consult with your primary care physician right away for an evaluation; it could be something very serious.

Temporary discolored spots that move around the body are definitely not veins. They could be bruises, and you should see your primary care doctor soon.

Dark bluish veins are called "blue blebs" and they are prone to spontaneous bleeding, especially in the shower while bathing . They represent an advanced stage of varicose veins. They are slightly raised above the skin, they respond well to sclerotherapy. But once they develop, they usually do not go away. What you are describing below, does not fit with "blue blebs", something else is going on. I recommend you seek the opinion of a dermatologist.

It's hard to say without seeing these spots if they are vein related or bruising. You might show them to your primary care physician for his or her opinion.

These "spots" sound like small bruises. While it is normal to get occasional bruising on a part of your body, if you notice frequent bruising I'd suggest you see your primary care physician. Your primary care physician will determine what, if any, testing is appropriate.

Disclaimer: The information found on this website is intended to be general medical information; it is not a medical diagnosis or medical advice. Specific medical advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your health situation. You should seek consultation with a doctor familiar with your medical condition. Posting a question on this website does not create a doctor-patient relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question.