Font Size: Increase | Decrease

What should I do if I have a bulging vein?

This question was asked in Auburn, Washington and has 6 answer(s) as of 12/03/2012.
I have a bulging vein on my left buttox. It hurst when I sit down. Are there procedures that I could undergo to fix this?


Doctors Answers (6)

Bulging veins or varicose veins are evaluated and treated in an office setting. If the source of the varicose vein is not apparent, can be evaluated using ultrasound. Depending on the size and location of the vein the best treatment choices are discussed and following treatment, you can resume normal activities immediately.

A focused physical exam + an US study will help determine if it will be amenable to injections versus surgical removal.

Veins in this location often derive from the genital area after pregnancy and may be treated by either injection or surgical removal.

If the vein is causing you discomfort and affecting your daily activities, then yes, you should consider seeking treatment from a doctor specializing in vein treatments. Yes, there are treatments to close or remove the problematic vein(s). Since visible veins on the skin, may be coming from other non visible veins under the skin, it's important to first determine the source, or root, of the visible varicose vein. This can usually be done with ultrasound of other methods. An analogy is this, if you don't locate and treat the source of the problem vein, it may be like cutting the grass without treating the root, the grass will just grow back.

Probably, but it's hard to say for sure without seeing it. Your best option is to consult a physician in a respected vein clinic (a clinic that specializes in the treatment of varicose and spider veins. )

Yes, there are procedures to fix this problem. Some form of injection therapy is usually a good technique.

Disclaimer: The information found on this website is intended to be general medical information; it is not a medical diagnosis or medical advice. Specific medical advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your health situation. You should seek consultation with a doctor familiar with your medical condition. Posting a question on this website does not create a doctor-patient relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question.